Govt. Mohindra College, Patiala, is a gift of H. H. Maharaja Mohinder Singh (1852-76) of Patiala to his state subjects. One of the oldest institutions in the entire North India, Govt. Mohindra College, Patiala, is a living monument of rare magnificence and breath-taking grandeur. At the time of its inception in 1875, it was the only institution of its kind in a vast area stretching from Lahore to Delhi.
The College was established to provide free education to the state subjects as this region was educationally impoverished. His Excellency, The Earl of Northbrook, the then Viceroy of India laid the foundation stone of the College building on 30th March 1875. The building was completed in about nine years and His Excellency, Viceroy Lord Ripon performed the Opening Ceremony on 17th March, 1884. At that time the College was affiliated to the Calcutta University. The college imparted free education to the state subjects until 1937. The tradition of imparting free education for girl students up to the graduation level is still continuing.
Initially the college imparted education in Sanskrit, Persian, and Arabic and the teaching of English and Mathematics was commenced shortly afterwards. In 1880, intermediate classes were started and in 1887, to commemorate the 50th year of the reign of Her Majesty, Queen Victoria, the college was upgraded to B.A. standard of Punjab University, Lahore. Post-graduation in Mathematics was started in 1912, in Philosophy in 1922 and in Punjabi in 1949. The College remained affiliated to Punjab University, Chandigarh also.
Visits to the College by Late Sh. S. Radhakrishnan, former President of India and the world renowned English novelist E.M. Forster are indicative of the stature of the College.
Since its inception, the College has covered a long journey of about 140 years in a regal style bolstered by the untiring efforts of the teaching faculty and scintillating achievements of its alumni in all fields of human activity, be it Sports, Culture, Academics, Civil and Defence Services, Industry, Commerce, Business, Politics and so on and so forth. This 140 year young institution stands head and shoulders high amidst the seminaries of learning in North India and has become a symbol of hope and aspirations not only of scholars and educators devoted to the pursuit of education but of those youngsters with dreams in their eyes who cannot afford expensive education in many private institutions which have proliferated in recent times.
In recognition of its contribution to higher learning the Govt. of India issued a commemorative Postage Stamp on Mohindra College on March 14, 1988. Later on the State Govt. adjudged the college as one of the four ‘Model’ colleges of the State. The College was awarded the A+ Grade by the ‘NAAC’ in April 2003 in the Cycle-I of NAAC and in the Cycle-II, the college is awarded with “A” Grade with a CGPA “3.86” by the ‘NAAC’ in February 2016, the highest score given to any college in the country. In 2006 the University Grants Commission accorded CPE status to the College under its scheme of ‘Colleges with Potential for Excellence’, a status which the College enjoyed until 2014. In 2009, the Department of Biotechnology of the Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, selected the college for financial assistance under its ‘Star College in Life Sciences Scheme’. The College has been selected for being a Community College under the Community College Scheme of the UGC.
The College continues to make rapid strides in academics, sports and cultural fields. And this obviously is in consonance with the College mission and goals.
For its various achievements in the academic, cultural and sports fields, the College has maintained its premier position in the entire North India.